Friday, April 21, 2006

OMGMMOFFRPG

You know what, I'm starting to like Final Fantasy XII less and less.

If you recall my post from some weeks ago I was not very hyped about it in the first place, but then I read a lot of positive reviews, and I was getting kinda anxious to buy it, and now that I own it, I'm slowly starting to shift back to where I was in the first place.

It's really too MMORPG-ish for my liking. Or at least, it's too much like FFXI for my liking. It seems all you're doing is walking across huge plains defeating endless enemies with a semi-active combat system, and occasionally you'll get a request to kill some monster that's WAY too powerful for you.
Dungeons and Open Areas offer NOTHING interesting whatsoever so far, just walking from point A to B, no puzzles, no gimmicks, NOTHING, just very pretty graphics.

Environments are HUGE, bigger than anything in the FF Universe so far, which makes it even more painful that there's nothing substantial to see or do.
Well, there's pretty graphics, but the design is so boring that it doesn't matter anyway.
Say what you want about Tetsuya Nomura, but at least he made stuff interesting.

And that's another thing, Final Fantasy has recently become famous for its abundant use of very pretty FMV, and this title definitely manages to top even the mighty FFX in terms of pretty FMV, but it just seems like they put in a lot of clips because they thought people expect it from FF nowadays.
FMV is extremely abundant once again, but more often than not, it's just people talking or walking around, which makes you wonder, why didn't they just do this in real-time?

Perhaps the reason is that the story is not exactly interesting or exciting in any way either. Like I said, if you like dark and serious stories a la FF Tactics or Vagrant Story, this'll be your cup of tea, but if, like me, you've grown to love the kind of New Age-y stories dealing with life and energy and stuff like that, and especially if you've grown fond of the series charming humor, this game is extremely disappointing.

In fact, they should've called this game Vagrant Story 2, because EVERYTHING points towards it. Same character design, Same composer (Hitoshi 'boring' Sakimoto), similar Battle System, samish story, only the latter two are even less interesting than in Vagrant Story.

There is no comic relief WHATSOEVER, no funny or likeable characters, just people being all moody and serious all the time. It used to be that at least the story would keep me going, but I'm not interested by this one at all.
In fact, I wouldn't even know what it's about, it's just some run-of-the-mill War Story of two huge feuding countries with some tiny-ass country stuck in the middle, lots of politics and backstabbery of course and non-stop yawning as far as I'm concerned.

I keep waiting desperately for this game to pick up and overwhelm me with its true greatness, but even after 11 hours or so, this still hasn't happened. I'm going to persist though, cos I'll be damned if I let an FF game get the best of me, but so far I don't feel like replaying it at all.
And that's another thing, I don't know about you, but when I play a really great game, I tend to want to start over again, before I've even finished it.
Along the way you're bound to find out lots of cool and new stuff, and you'll go "Hey, I shoulda known that from the beginning, then I could've done this or that", and sometimes I do. This, for me, is a sign of a great game, and I still have that feeling with good games, but FFXII so far has done nothing for me in that respect.

I'll keep you posted on any happenings, but so far, this is looking like one of the least interesting FF's since....well....ever.

Tell me why it is so goddamn expensive again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home