Thursday, September 15, 2005

Luigi Mansion

Nope, that's not a typo, the box actually says "Luigi Mansion" in a great example of the Japanese's grasp of the English language. "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

So, Luigi Mansion then, I believe this was the first Gamecube game to be released and it was supposed to sell the machine. There is no doubt that it's a great graphical showcase of the GC's capabilities (or at least it was back at the time) but you can't help but wonder why the chose to give us this weird game instead of a new real Mario game. Not that I have anything against Luigi, au contraire I like him better than his overrated fat-ass brother, whenever I played Mario games with my friends, I ALWAYS wanted to be Luigi, which seemed to work out fine for everyone involved.

The story is that Princess Peach is NOT kidnapped and it's your task to find out why, and along the way maybe save your good brother Mario who has misplaced himself somehow in a Big Mansion full of ghosts. Luigi bravely ventures after him and is aided in his quest by Professor Oya Maa (or E.Gadd in English) who hands Luigi an Obakyuumu (or Poltergust 3000) to suck up the ghosts and a Gameboy Horror to check out their location. As you can see, puns and wordplay run rampant and I will kill everyone responsible.

So what follows is a rather short game which is really not special enough to waste a lot of words on. That's not to say it's not fun, because it is, for as long as it lasts, or perhaps a little shorter. Basically, you're just running from room to room sucking up ghosts, and finding keys to go to the next room, interspersed with some puzzles and treasure hunting. The ending you get depends on the amount of money you gather in the game, which gives you a rank, earning you a nice mansion of your own, in a similar fashion to Wario Land.

The game gives you a side objective of finding 50 Boos, which appear after clearing each room of ghosts, and it's a good thing this is only a sidequest cos it's really rather annoying. Boos can move to other rooms when they flee which means a lot of running back and forth between rooms before you can catch them.

Other than that the game has little to make you excited or angry, it's fun and original but in an average way, so I give this an 8.2.

Yeah, that's right, you stick 'em up, you stick 'em up GOOD

3 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn IIIIngen. Update. Now.

 
At 9/18/2005 8:33 PM, Blogger Ingen! said...

Ooooooh, listen to Mister "Now that I'm in Japan I have so much free time on my hands that I can place an update every day".
Making demands are we?

You mark my words, before long, you'll be so bored over there that you'll be making pictures of your penis. I hear they have a special folder on your computer especially for that.

I WAS going to make a new post, until I read this. Now I'm going to make one anyway.

Oh, on a more serious note, I was sorry to see your forum go. I mean, I know it was dead, but now that you're in Japan and making updates constantly I kinda felt like commenting here and there.

You don't really need to reinstall fora or anything, but some kind of comment system would be nice.

Or perhaps not.

 
At 9/19/2005 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAApAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAApAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAcAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

There, that's better. I was thinking a comment thing would be nice, but I have NO idea on how to do that. You could send me mails, and I'll post them on the site. But maybe it's better if I incorporate some kind of blog in the site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home