Sunday, May 29, 2005

Sorry, did I say 225? I mean 228!

Today is Sunday, and Sunday, by rule of the Bible, is Flea Market Day (it's in there somewhere!). And Flea Market means Lots of People selling Old Junk at low LOW prices!
And of course that means GAMES. Only in this case, it wasn't some stupid parent selling of their recluse child's most prized possessions at laughable rates (I want my pacifier back! you hear me MOTHER!?) but there was an actual stand belonging to those nice people from Game Over.

Their stand was real cheap. They were selling NES games for 3 Euro a piece, 10 for 25 Euro. Obviously these were all the most common NES games, no rare stuff, so that explains the price, but it's not representational of their huge Amsterdam Collection.

So, I bought Ducktales, Gremlins 2 and Kirby's Adventure for a nice total of 9 Euro, and because I have this really stupid rule that allows me to put down everything else when I buy a game with an 'old' letter so to speak, I immediately sat down for some nostalgic goodness.

Ducktales! It's CAPCOM, people! You know, the company that has been presenting the Universe from day one? I'll bet we don't get any credits at the end though.
Even if we do, God is probably going to be listed as 'R'. Or Bun Bun.
Thank you for your playing!

But seriously, I was (and still am) a HUGE Capcom freak, cos they just make excellent games, always have, and always will (probably), and even a game as old as Ducktales (1989) is still a lot of fun! If you're into retro of course.
There's only 5 levels, but they're non-linear, there's lots of treasures to find and collect, secrets and everything.
Your ending varies (ever so slightly) on the total amount of money you've gathered, so there is some minor beat-your-highscore related replay value.
Oh, and 3 difficulty levels! And the music is great, as with EVERY Capcom NES game back in those days.

I'm going to give this an 8.5! Bear in mind, I am rating these games by the standards at those times of course, don't think it deserves an 8.5 by today's.
It would probably get a 9.2
Hur Hur.

The Graphics! They're Gorgeous!


Oh, and yesterday, I finished the first CD in FF7. God, that last scene is really one of the BEST scenes in Video Game History EVER. The music, the drama, EVERYTHING.
It comes only second to that other milestone in Plot-twists in Video Game stories:
"Sorry, but our princess is in another Castle!"
By the time I reached 7-4 I was ready to KILL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home