Saturday, April 30, 2005

Swan Dance of the New Peach Shogunate

Gasp!

More than two days without an update! That's a new record!
I hope you haven't all been killing yourself in desperation.
But I'm sure you'll get better.

So, finished Ganbare Goemon and The Excessively Long Subtitle yesterday, very short game, only 6 hours or so. It's nice enough.

The game is pretty straightforward, you're pretty much going from A to B all the time, with some very minor backtracking, most of which is to the same small town.

Once again, I have to state the the humor is really wonderful in this game, it's completely crazy and that's what keeps your attention, cos the gameplay is nothing unique or outstanding. Nothing bad in any way, but nothing to make you go 'wow' either.
I do have to say that I cannot imagine this game to be so much fun in any other language than Japanese. The whole setting of the game is Japanese and the humor is definitely adjusted to the setting, so I don't think this can work in English.
Also, since the game takes place in the whole of Japan, there's a LOT of regional speech and dialects, very true to the original environments, which adds color and some credibility which must be hard to purvey in English.

But since this game was after all very much aimed at the Japanese market, I shall judge it as such. This was never meant to be brought to these shores I think.

I have to point out though that the Camera is absolutely atrocious. Horrendous.Insidious even. The camera is hardly ever where you want it to be, so you have to shift it a lot, but if you press the scroll button one time too many (which is TWICE actually) the camera will make an entire 360 degree turn, free of charge, and you can imagine how useful that is when you're negotiating small platforms.
Even when adjusting the angle, the camera is very jerky, and often gets into conflict with walls, or it doesn't when in fact it should. This one time, it went to so completely mad, jerking back and forth and shaking about, that the game fucking froze on me! IT FROZE ON ME! BAD KONAMI, BAD!
I think that, in my approximate 20 years as a gamer, the amount of cartridge-based games that have frozen on me can be counted on the fingers of a Simpson's Hand.
CD's are an entirely different affair though (Thanks, Sony!).

And even more bizarre, the music just completey blanked out during the final battle!
I mean, I was checking what the heck happened, but my Headphones were still working, there was nothing wrong with the RGB cable, my Stereo was still on and set to the right channel, the sound just disappeared! When I reset the N64 it was back and acted as if nothing had happened! Snotty little brat!

So yeah, kinda buggy this game, it seems, but still very decent.
Good music (when it's there), nice graphics (for the time), great humor.
I'll give this an 8, for being worth checking out.

Which reminds me, I'll put up a rough guide to my scoring system in the Rules section:
Here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home