Saturday, March 12, 2005

No More.

So the other day I ran into this Chinese Farmer. Well of course he wasn't in the farming business anymore (does that make him a Former?) , cos I wouldn't run into him if he was still a farmer in China would I?
Anyhow, he told me how, back in the day, he would have to get up at like 3 o'clock in the morning and work in the fields ALL day long until 8 o'clock in the evening or something, sowing, raking, reaping, taking care of the livestock, and then, when he got home he had to prepare all the food, since the guy's hectic life had prevented him from ever meeting girls and marrying, so after a long day's work he would have to take care of all the household chores as well, cooking, cleaning, repairing etc.

Most of the time his work would be finished around midnight, leaving him a clean 3 hours to sleep, but sometimes he would even have to start working in the fields again without getting any sleep at all. Thing is, China was such a poor country, especially for farmers, that he couldn't really hire any helping hands to make his duties any lighter. Competition was also strong so he had to work the skin off his hands to make even half of a living, and on top of all that, he told me his house was very old and decrepit so ofttimes he would have to renovate everything to make sure it didn't collapse while he was asleep.

So then I told him: "yeah well, I just finished Dark Chronicle", upon which he gave me a lifetime's supply of rice and 5 of his best yaks.

FUCK, this game is one of the most time-consuming and intensive ways of slacking off I've ever experienced! In total the game took me a little over 40 hours (37 if you don't count that extra dungeon), and I'm almost positive that at least 25% of that time was spent going back to buy/find/arrange all kinds of little things I needed to go ahead.
Recruiting people, taking photographs, fishing, building towns, reconstructing the future, exploring dungeons, upgrading weapons, shit, the list is almost endless and you NEED to do all this to get to the end and even want to stand a remote chance against the endless chain of Final Battles.

But this is really the only negative thing I can say about this game. It's really a LOT of work, and if you're not up to that kind of thing you will probably not want to play this game. Also, the game can be frustratingly hard sometimes, mostly because you can take very little damage, even with high defense.
But it cannot be denied that beneath all this is a Great Great Game, that the developers really put a LOT of effort into, it's just that they want you to do the same.
Truely, everything about this game screams quality, and it's certainly a hell of a lot more interesting than its prequel. The random dungeons can be kind of boring, but the side objectives to earn medals at least keep you distracted long enough not to care too much.
I would very much recommend this game to anyone though, there's so much in here that there's bound to be something you like, just don't expect to get away with anything easily.

I think I'll give it an 8.8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home